Monday, February 23, 2009

Because for most of us music is linked to our memories, this should enlighten others to your moods and phases of life. If nothing else, it clearly gives away your age! If your memory is like mine, you may need to list group names rather than song titles. You may not be able to limit to just one song. Take your time, use google and you tube. That is ok with this note. Further commentary as to your choices is appreciated. Delete my answers, fill in your own, and forward to others at will...

1. Song from childhood? Rainbow Connection by Kermit the Frog (Muppets in general)
A little later...Michael Jackson's Off the Wall. My first album.

2. Your high school class song? Free Bird by Lynard Skynard (I know, what were we thinking?) At least it is a considered a classic, right?

3. Your first CD?
The Four Seasons by Vivaldi

4. Song most memorable or favored from your teenage years? I have a few..
What I Am by Edie Brickell
The Cemetery Gates by The Smiths
The entire INXS "Kick"album, played before tennis matches
The English Beat, The Church, The Connells and U2
The Descendants fed my punk/angst side
Something ridiculous by Tone-Loc spurred on by Jennifer
Guns N Roses driving to N.DavidsonHS for classes with Katie and Chip

5. Song most memorable or favored from college or young adult years?
The first year of college - hands down, The Indigo Girls and Jane's Addiction
Later...ABBA Gold, Dillon Fence. Bizarre singles - "Ebeneezer Goode" by the Shamen (I wonder if anyone will know that song) and "Supermodel (You better work) by RuPaul.
Scott J. and Elizabeth S. help me out here.

6. Song linked to any job? And, really, why?
Hmmmm - The soundtrack to the musical RENT (to make me feel like I had not sold out) and Madonna's Ray of Light CD (I was in sales and this got my blood flowing)

7. A song that brings you infinite happiness?
"In Christ Alone" because of Ansley. In her last few months, I remember her standing, bald, both hands in the air singing with all her heart to this song. Sad, but fantastically beautiful. Also "Ill Fly Away" the Jars of Clay song. One of her funeral picks that we had much discussion about.

8. A song linked to sad times?
Paul Simon's "Graceland" which was given to me by my father the first Christmas my parents were divorced. Sad, but I still love the album.

9. What song is linked to some angst/rebellion for you?
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. Will never forget the first time I heard it and what it did to me.

10. A song that is linked to romance? Jeff Buckley (I can barely listen to him), Sade, Barry White (who doesn't think of that with him on?), and Terence Trent D'arby (although he is so cheesy to look at)

11. A song you wish you had never heard? Anything by Slim Whitman because Ansley tormented me with the ridiculous notion that I loved him and wanted to be married to him. Despite the utter impossibility of this idea, she would drive me to tears with this fact. Hate even hearing his name.

12. A song that won't leave your head? "Nah nah nah nah, Hey Hey Hey Good bye"

13. A song that was played at your wedding (or you would like played there)? I Will be Here by Michael W. Smith, but performed by a friend. Nice, but would probably not choose it again. Correction noted below - Steven Curtis Chapman, not MWS.

14. A song that you will admit, for the first time, loving? Barbara Streisand, "A Piece of Sky Actually, I'll just say it - I like most her stuff. While I am at it - Neil Diamond, ok?

15. Your favorite 'wild times/party' song?
In the Netherlands - "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor and a Dutch song "Vlieg Met Me (Naar de Regenboog) by Paul De Leeuw. But, whenever I was going out in the US and heard this song, it was always an awesome night..."Big Country" by Big Country. I know, strange.

16. Your best road trip song? Journey, REM, Boston, Alison Krauss, Bob Marley. Anything I can sing to, or rather warble to.

17. Your favorite sad/quiet times song? "Praise You in the Storm" by Casting Crowns and "Valley of the Vision" CD. Other quiet times...Nina Simone (slightly depressing jazz) and Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers

18. What is in your CD player or the last song on your mp3 player? Car CD player TobyMac, Alvin & the Chipmonks, WOW 2009 and 2 Veggie Tales CD. I have kids.

19. What is your current fav? TOBYMAC! Love him!

20. Your all-time favorite song? I'll come back to this one. Really need to contemplate.

BONUS QUESTION:
Your life's song, ya know, what song best describes your life? "Lifesong" acoustic version by Casting Crowns - to be played at my funeral.

I added this one: Song to my kids: " Lovely Day" by Bill Withers

No comments: